Several business owners on upper Spring St. attended Monday’s city council meeting to address problems with the entertainment district trial.
Christina Piasecki, co-owner of Brews, described unintended challenges for businesses just outside the district. Initially, Piasecki said liability was her primary concern – keeping alcohol contained. But after seeing a significant decrease in revenue, her concern shifted, as she explained they count on higher revenue during peak season to sustain them through the dormant months. Piasecki asked council to consider expanding the boundary to include all downtown businesses, but said she has little hope that will happen, especially due to pushback from the fire and police chiefs regarding safety issues. “A very successful person once told me that if you’re going to present someone with a problem, at least provide a suggested solution, and the only one that we can think of is an adjustment to the sign.”
Emily Cummings, owner of So Good Kitchen, also spoke to problems with the signage – its placement in the middle of the sidewalk and its wording. The sign reads: You are now leaving the entertainment district. John Rankine, landlord of three businesses in the area, said the sign may as well say “do not go past this or you won’t have any fun at all.”
Cummings suggested an addendum to the sign that encouraged people to continue walking and explore businesses beyond the sign; or an opportunity for those businesses to advertise on sandwich boards or flyers.
“It’s really hard where we are anyway. While we’re still on Spring St., up a tiny incline, and people don’t see a lot going on over there – sometimes it’s hard to draw people in,” she said. “Scratching our back also scratches yours. The more money we make, the more we can give to the CAPC, so if you can help us here, we would really appreciate it.”
Kelsey Sutterfield, an employee at Dr. Paul’s Recovery Center spoke during public comments to address citizens’ concerns regarding the facility’s expansion. Sutterfield said of the two hotels they have purchased, one of them is currently vacant with plans to return as use of a hotel. The other will be divided between “traditional civilian lodging and sober living.”
“This is part of a larger plan to create structure, stability, and responsible housing for people who are working to rebuild their lives,” Sutterfield said. Additionally, they have purchased the Ozarka Village building where they plan to open a restaurant, creating opportunity for clients who complete treatment to find employment in the community. “We want each person to have a safe and appropriate place to go, a plan for what comes next, and an opportunity to continue building a sober and productive life.” Sutterfield stressed that clients are from around the state. “We cannot solve this problem by simply pushing people somewhere else – we want to be responsible members of this community – we want to work with the city, not against it.”
Later in the meeting, Alderman David Avanzino expressed disappointment after being unable to get through in his attempts to call Dr. Paul’s Rehab Center. He stressed that the public needs to understand that housing for people in recovery is protected under federal Fair-Housing regulations, however, the city can apply the same rules as they do across all residential areas such as occupancy limits, parking, noise, building, and life-safety codes. Avanzino proposed that council and city staff invite the team at Dr. Paul’s to work out a good neighbor agreement to get ahead of any issues.
During water and sewer updates, Alderman Rachael Moyer asked Public Works Director Simon Wiley for further insight after having reviewed a water loss report his department had provided. The report indicated the city is averaging an approximate 35 percent water loss so far this year; one percent less from the previous year. Moyer noted that last year’s water loss equaled about $188,000 and this year’s loss amounts to $131,862 thus far. Research showed that national water loss averages are between 15 and 20 percent – and anything above 20 can be considered unacceptable, sometimes triggering an audit.
Wiley said he believed the city was doing well compared to other communities in the region, some having water loss over 70 percent. “We have waterline infrastructure underground that’s over 130 years old,” said Wiley. “We have waterlines in the city that we don’t even know where it is. White St., for example has three water mains that run down the street. That is not typical anywhere else in this nation. Same thing for Van Buren. We have a water main, and a two-inch line that parallels it. Why they did that – I don’t know. We have to start attacking these problem areas first. The funding issue is a problem.” Wiley explained that replacing waterlines costs between $1-1.4 million per mile; and more parallel lines equates to more opportunities for leaks, such as the three laid parallel on White St.
Mayor Butch Berry said in years past the city’s water loss had averaged 55 percent, so he felt positive about averaging the current 35. “This points directly to why we need this bond issue, it’s because of water loss,” said Berry. “Otherwise, we wouldn’t need to be talking about a $16 million bond issue and $8 million for water lines.”
Wiley said replacing aging waterlines is essential to address water loss long-term. Meanwhile, weak points in the system will continue to emerge. Moyer asked if Public Works had a prioritized list for repairs and Wiley said he did.
Avanzino asked to move the digital speed limit sign from Magnetic to N. Main St. entering town. Wiley explained they could not as it’s a state highway but said he would inquire with ArDot. The signs cost about $7,000 and the city owns three; one placed by the school, one on Magnetic Rd., and one awaits installation on Pivot Rock Rd.
Moyer announced that her petition for city council fell short of three signatures to appear on the November ballot. While the council position will be considered vacant after Dec. 31, council can declare a vacancy and inform the public of their intention to fill the seat via appointment in 2027. Moyer expressed her desire to continue to represent Ward 1 through 2028. In the past, council has taken applications from those interested in filling a council vacancy.
Holifield reminded people the voter registration deadline is Oct. 5, urging people to exercise this “sacred right.”
Alderman Susane Gruning, a supporter of the ED, thanked those who have worked on the ED and highlighted the ongoing learning curve – “that’s why it’s a trial,” Gruning said, also noting she would love for the district to extend to Brews.
Other Business:
- Alderman Harry Meyer motioned to ask an abstractor for a quote to catalog city property; aldermen agreed in unanimity.
- A Low-to-Moderate Income survey has begun and is expected to be completed by August 30. Over 300 households are scheduled to be surveyed. Approximately 60 percent of the addresses are clustered in approximately twelve hotel/motel conversions on the eastern side of the city. Using community volunteers, the survey will be conducted by mail, phone call, and door-to-door interviews. Residents who receive the survey are urged to fill it out as it could result in up to $1 million in funding for infrastructure projects within that area; and asked not to share the survey as they don’t want anyone living outside that area to fill it out.
- A preliminary 30-day review of the ED showed an increase in visitor activity with mixed public safety results. Seasonal traffic and city-wide events may also have affected results. Citizens were encouraged to read the entire report on the city website and contact the mayor’s office with any questions and concerns. Berry expressed appreciation for citizens’ insight regarding signs, validating issues brought forward and pointing out that businesses on the other end, past Benton St., are likely being affected similarly. The city is now looking to remove “entertainment district” from signage.
- A proclamation was read, establishing a Eureka Springs Poet Laureate; a collaboration between the Writers’ Colony at Dairy Hollow, Emerge Literary Magazine, and Eureka Springs Arts Council.
- Eureka Springs was recertified for its tenth year as a Bee City USA, an effort of the mayor, Ken Trimble, and community groups such as the Carroll County Master Gardners, and Arkansas Master Naturalists.
- Danny Watson was approved for the CAPC’s at-large position. Michael Welch was approved for the Cemetery Commission. Vacancies remain on CAPC, Planning and Cemetery Commissions. Contact the mayor’s office or go to eurekaspringsar.gov to fill out an application.
